Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sharing the big day - Phoebe and Porter










Happy 29th and 2nd to Phoebe and Porter!! (This posting is on the 10th - their shared day of naisance is the 11th - but I need to scoop Eliza!!)

One photo is Porter's 1st b-day last year - my how he's grown!! And several of Phoebe from the 80's. And one of Phoebe on her first birthday. And one of Porter just this week - so you can see that he has indeed grown up a lot.

The Cabbage Patch story deserves telling: I went to the old Kmart that was located where Albertson's is now and saw what I thought was the goofiest looking doll I'd ever seen. My comment? "These will never make it!" Boy, was I ever wrong - they were Cabbage Patch Dolls - and within a few months, they were in short supply and high demand. (This is why I don't do the stock market trading in our family!!)

It was getting close to Phoebe's birthday, and all she wanted was a Cabbage Patch doll. I went to the Kaybee Toys in the mall with Bonny and Harry - and we located the last Cabbage Patch Doll in Arcadia - a preemie CB for $37! (You have to remember that it was 1984 - that was a lot of money for a crummy doll in those days - American Girl dolls were not even a twinkle in anyone's eyes then!)

I kept saying, "Your dad will flip at spending this kind of money on this kind of doll." Harry then said, "Well, make up your mind, because there's a line of people following you around the store waiting for you to maybe change your mind!" Then he said, "Let's take it out to the parking lot and sell it for $75!!" (The newspapers were full of stories of outrageous bidding wars on CB dolls in stores and parking lots all over America!!)

Obviously we bought it - and big Harry said, when Phoebe opened her gift and was absolutely ecstatic, "Well, I guess you called that one right!"

So happy birthday to a couple of my favorite people!! May all your Cabbage Patch dreams come true!!

5 comments:

HPT said...

Do I detect maybe a pre-evolution Mimi cake there on the bottom? And look at that good looking young mom holding it! Zowie!

Eliza said...

Well you did scoop me...although you probably would have anyway, since on Wednesdays I work 1 to 9 and so I sleep in.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to both Phoebe and Porter. How fun to have 2 birthdays on the same day. And both the P people. I hope you both have a fabulous day full of everything you love.

The Cabbage Patch story always makes me laugh. They are pretty goofy-looking.

bonny with a Y said...

I'm glad you got her the doll - it's always good to have joy.

Happy birthday to Phoebe and Porter!

hanner said...

I think Phoebe's best birthday present is that she gets to see me this weekend. Tee hee.

Phoebe said...

Thanks for the well wishes!
I will have to blog all about my birthday adventures later.
Can't wait to see you Hannah!