Sunday, October 15, 2006

Coverups








I am really into aprons these days.

It all started when I was looking in antique shops for aprons for a gift for a friend who said she was collecting them. I bought a few, and they seemed to be reasonably priced.

I talked to more people, and they said to go on eBay. Well, there it was, apron heaven. But I'm really not into eBay - I guess I don't have the patience. My one friend got several really cute old ones from England, and the prices weren't bad.

So I went on eBay - but everything I wanted had too long a time for people to bid. I guess I'm into instant gratification.

Then I remembered a pattern I had for an apron - and I found an old photo of myself in the apron. I think my mom made it for me, and so then I went out and bought the pattern in three different sizes. (Now they put all the sizes in one pattern - which would have been a catastrophe for me because I would have cut on one of the size lines and I'd have to tape back on all those little strips of tissue for the other sizes - and I probably would have thrown them away anyway!!)

Fortunately I found the patterns - and actually another old (20 years)Vogue apron pattern that I had bought and never made - but always wanted to. So I bought some material for that apron.

Last Christmas I started making aprons for my 4 daughters and daughter-in-law. I ws hooked. I've made about 30 or so since then. I have it down to a science - I'm my own little apron factory.

And I cut out my wonderful Vogue apron pattern - and even started sewing on it. It's harder though - I get easily discouraged.

And then I made a different style apron for Bonny for her b-day - she posted it last week - but last night I found the pattern I had wanted to use years ago to replicate the old blue and red aprons I wore all the time when Bonny was growing up that I tried to replicate for her b-day this year. Are you still with me?? (The old blue and red aprons were really mini-dresses that Donna and Leslie used to wear as teens. When they hit the ragbag, I fished them out and took them home and used them as aprons.)

And then I found a really old pattern, and I'm not sure at all where it came from - I'm thinking it's an old pattern that Polly gave me. It takes more fabric, but it looks pretty simple. I will have to make 4 or 5 and then get it down to a science.

I call my litte enterprise Pinnies From Heaven. But it's totally non-commercial - I just get a kick out of making aprons.

Sue C. pulled an apron out of her bag at Enrichment - we had to bring three things that represented us - and said, "An apron is my Superman cape. When I put one on, I am empowered." Don't you love that??

I am feeling pretty powerful myself!!

3 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

i love that - my apron is my superman cape.

she gave me an apron for a wedding shower gift.

i need to go put mine on - my house is in need.

bonny with a Y said...

and i love the pic of krissie and damond

grannybabs said...

Everyone will eventually get an apron from me - all in good time!!